Tuesday, April 25, 2006

About reservations

Almost everybody has an opinion about reservations. I usually don't have any 'opinion' about most of the things/issues. This one is a similar issue.

I am not comfortable with reservations. Yes, that's true, I am not at all 'at home' with all the reservations for SC/ST and OBCs. My colleague called me about two weeks ago asking about any friend who was in IIT from quota, and I didn't have any names in my mind for 5 minutes. I don't categorize my friends by their caste (not entirely true) and I don't think if a person I am working with is eligible for quotas. I consider reservations to be a way of 'discrimination'. While we should be trying to eradicate the caste system, the reservations make sure that caste system is here to stay. I don't like it.

I think we should have reservations. Inspite of what I said in last paragraph, I believe that it would help Indian economy if we have reservations. I don't necessarily agree with the 'caste' based reservations and will be more happy if a 'economic status' based system can be implemented; but I know that unfortunately caste based system is 'still' a 'good enough' approximation. Since its an assumption it would be rather easy for people to point out exceptions (I know that there are a LOT of them). But its 'one of the best approximations'.

In the long run it will help India if 'all its classes' are equally educated. I may see overall quality of 'output' decrease for some time. I don't know if it will continue for 50 years or 100 or more/less. But 'eventually' we will have a more balanced system in place.

I think that all backward classes can still profit from reservations.

Do I make any sense? I am not going to read it again :-P

Post a Comment (17)

17 Comments:

Blogger Zaki M said...

sirjee, it does make sense, but
> isnt it the issue of 'backwards' making progress at the expense of 'not-backwards' ?
> & why use approximations when u knw u can work on the real-thing itself (read EBCs)

but again.. its only an opinion & opinions do not demand agreements :)

4:49 PM  
Blogger W0lf said...

Scarcity of resources is a fundamental problem that humanity has always faced, and there has always been conflict through the ages for resources.

This is just another manifestation of this age-old conflict.

The problem with our country is that resource distribution has gotten too skewed because of the caste system, with a minority community controlling an unfair number of resources. In the past this system worked because the majority was kept in check through religious and other taboos.
With the influx of liberal Western ideas and access to education, this is no longer the case. If we do not balance out resource distribution, it might lead to great social foment and violence.
It is necessary for us to ensure equal oppurtunity for all to preserve our democratic credentials.

You might say -- let the economically disadvantaged compete on fair terms, but that is not possible. Going through school, college and learning the right things as you make your way through them requires a level of economic stability, and membership in the right social circles. Higher castes have always monopolised these channels and have obstructed other communities from competing. You need external intervention to ensure everyone gets a fair shot.

5:10 PM  
Blogger the clairvoyant said...

aap bhi reservations par post karna shuru ho gaye:-( .. jidhar dekho udhar reservations....i expected a post abt yer stay in US :-(

5:22 PM  
Blogger Jeet said...

Zaki, I agree that it is being done at the expense of 'non-backwards'. But we should do this so that this classification can be removed (sooner the better).

If its not done right now we might have a huge gap between these classes and we may not be in position to fill the gap then.

Also, I have had the 'real-thing' vs. 'approximation' discussion ealier with someone (will post about it sometime). Basically it is very 'difficult' to classify EBCs specially because we would need a salary/income certificate from a person who does not know how to read or can not afford to pay a CA for making a certificate for him/her.

9:09 PM  
Blogger Jeet said...

Hey Anshuman:

Thanks for your comment. I totally agree with you there.

9:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is one of the best arguments i have read lately on this issue.Plain, with no pretensions whatsoever.Thanks,it was quite mind soothing.

10:01 PM  
Blogger Jeet said...

Hi Anon:

Thanks for your comment.

10:21 PM  
Blogger Zaki M said...

@jeet - do you mean SCs/STs dont need to produce certificates to prove their 'backwardness'? and accdg to ur view, i guess they are approximately in the same state as EBCs are (wrt income and literacy too i assume).....

and i completely agree with the thought of removing the inequality of resources - but shouldnt it be also present at the levels of primary & secondary education? and that too the premier ones (similar to bachelors and masters' iits and iims) to produce the desired effect?

4:38 AM  
Blogger the clairvoyant said...

Reservations at the primary skools are still there to an extent but then most of the EBC kids don't want to go to school.

7:27 AM  
Blogger Jeet said...

Zaki: I know that one has to get the 'caste certificate' from 'some' government agency. But it is not same as getting an 'income certificate'.. ( Now that I think about it the CC may be more difficult to get :p )

And I agree with the funda of reservations in primary/secondary schools.

7:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh, you have very very very nice photos on flickr. i love them.

2:33 PM  
Blogger Jeet said...

Thanks bruno. I am happy that you liked the photos.

9:42 PM  
Blogger Vivek Kumar said...

Hey.. very well written! Don't worry.. you make a lot of sense.

11:30 AM  
Blogger Jeet said...

Sacchi main? Thanks :-). Cool.. I tend to write a lot of 'long' sentences so it becomes confusing for people :D

12:17 PM  
Blogger Vaibhav said...

Nice one jeetu
a very well-balanced opinion though I feel u tried hard to sound politically correct :-)

2:25 PM  
Blogger Jeet said...

Thanks vaibhav. Yes I realize that I was politically correct (most of the times). But I don't remember putting an effort to sound p. c.

3:13 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

come on..on one side you are favouring reservation by saying that it will make "all classes equally educated" but at what expense...at the expense of deserving candidate .....
and on other hand you are sugesting reservation on the basis of economical status...do you really think it will work india...as no-one in india shows his income properly.
my suggestion for all these problems is "COMMON CIVIL CODE"..i am sure this well help in solving all these sensitve issues upto a certain extent

does this make sense?

1:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home