Friday, October 05, 2007

I am very surpised to know that many people don't know that most of the restaurants use eggs while preparing the very famous naan. Whenever I go to a restaurnt I ask the waiter to confirm if their naan and rumaali roti has eggs. Most of the time first answer is "No, sir it doesn't". I have to push the person to go and check with the chef. And that's when most of the people come back and tell me that they use eggs in prepation of naan.

At times many restaurant owners have claimed that is impossible to make naan and rumaali roti without using eggs. But some have claimed that they use curd and/or banana to achieve the same results.

What I don't like about this whole naan episode is the fact that restaurant owners still don't highlight the fact that naan contains eggs. A lot of people consider eggs to be non-vegetarian and they would definitely feel cheated when they are told the truth.

It is mandatory for packed food to have a green or brown sign highlighting whether the contents are veg. or non-veg. I think there is a need for similar standards for restaurant menus. I don't know if anything can be done to remedy this.

Labels: , ,

Post a Comment (5)

5 Comments:

Blogger Radhesh said...

Hey thanks that was a great info but surely going to put lot of us in trouble :-)

12:53 PM  
Blogger Jeet said...

I know. I came to know about it a couple of years ago and I have been tormenting all restaurants after that :p

1:02 PM  
Blogger Amit Sachan said...

gazab yaar...lekin i say, unfortunately some times ignorance is a bliss!! :-)

4:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dude you mean to say all restaurants near gslab also did this?? i mean i always thought naan to veg and didnt bother.. anyways thanks for the eye opener..

10:49 PM  
Blogger Jeet said...

yes dude.. most of them do.. unless they are pure vegetarian..

:-)

Klove doesn't use egg in rumaali roti :) They don't have non-veg in the whole pulse / ozone mall.

11:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home